Slouching Towards Bantry

A journey is a hallucination. -- Flann O'Brien

Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Traveller's Ghost

The old woman I encountered on Quay Street in Galway could have been Biddy Ward, the widow of traveller Galway John, but for the fact that Biddy, a local character died years ago. She was begging for alms, mumbling her story in such a deep brough that I could only make out that she was trying to 'get home.' I gave the woman a few coins.

Home for Biddy was, for a good bit of her life, a camp by nearby lough or lake, where she lived with husband, a tinker, and raised 21 children. In her later years, according to the yellowing newspaper clip framed and hanging on the wall of McDouagh's fish and chip shop here, Biddy spent her time begging in the streets or holding court in a local pub.

I happened to read about Biddy after my fish and chips order was delayed. Noting the snafu, the waitress comped my meal.

Things like this happen in Galway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home